Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Holiday Fun

Here is a not so short run down of what has been happening around here since I posted last (or the one before the last because that was really just a few hours ago, in all honesty)...

♥ Went to David's work Christmas party where my girls kept trying to drink the "grape juice" that came in big pretty bottles and were labeled wine (don't worry, I stopped them). We won a crock pot in the white elephant gift exchange (the limit was $10, I am pretty sure that cost a whole lot more than that).

♥ Grandma drove down. She was supposed to come on a Friday, but she called up on Wednesday and told me she was leaving in an hour because she was afraid of the snow in Utah. That was at 12:00 pm. Around 9:00 pm, she calls to tell me that she is stuck in a blizzard in... Las Vegas. She had to stay the night and didn't get here until 4:00 pm the next day. Weird.

♥ The baby has been making lots of leaps and bounds lately. The doctor told me she is not behind (even though it is sometimes difficult to believe that considering our middle child who has been two since she turned one) and not to worry about how she is developing. She is still very, very small. They tested her growth hormone and we should get the results in a few days. She seems to be doing great, however. She is getting stronger each day (pulled herself to standing a few times tonight). I was very worried, but I decided that she will work on her own time and that the main thing is that she is happy and healthy. And she is definitely those two things.

♥ I had minor surgery on my foot. Okay, I just had an ingrown toenail, but it all fairness it has been horrible for a long time now. Gross, I know, but I have been dealing with something or other with this toe for six months. I finally decided to get it taken care of. I wish I could say it really hurt and I got a lot of sympathy, but it didn't and I couldn't milk it because I felt guilty (one would only feel guilt if they tried to milk it, if you catch my drift). It is healing quite nicely. Of course, the only reason why I went to get it taken care of is because David started yelling at me about dying over my toe or getting flesh eating bacteria. No thanks.

♥ David and I got free tickets to go see the Phoenix Suns play the Denver Nuggets and all we had to pay for was parking. Had a great time, husband got chatted up by a drunk girl asking if he knew Chuck (apparently we were in Chuck's seats... he gave them to a friend who gave them to us), we won, we got lost trying to find the car, and I flipped out and wanted to run when a homeless man (bless his heart) started walking our way when walking to the car (it was all good... he was just smoking and I was just having a panic attack). I had to laugh, however, by how sweet my husband is. We were sitting there, watching the game, when this cheerleader started dancing down in front of us. In all sincerity he said, "I feel bad for her. Her top seems too small." I then explained that that was the point. Maybe he really is as innocent as he claims to be or, as he says, "as pure as new fallen snow." I honestly don't get the point of cheerleaders. I am pretty sure Shaq doesn't need a barely dressed woman cheering him on to help him block.

♥ Went and saw the movie Seven Pounds. I don't know how I feel about it. I cried, but it left me confused (about my feelings).

♥ Had a wonderful birthday, despite the fact that I do not want to recognize that day at all. David surprised me by taking me to a dinner theater where we ate gourmet food and watched A Christmas Carol. It was fabulous!

♥ Lost the keys to the car... still looking for them.

♥ Went to In 'n Out for Christmas Eve. It was delicious!

♥ Spent a very lovely and relaxing Christmas day watching the girls open their presents. We were so very grateful that they slept in until 9:30 (very nice). They made out like bandits (I will get some pictures posted). It is always a joy to watch their little faces light up! They loved the gifts and had so much fun playing with their new toys. I made German Pancakes, homemade pancakes (excellent recipe!), and the rest of the breakfast fixin's. Then, for dinner, we kept it easy with Reuben sandwiches and finger foods (Brie cheese, fresh mozzarella cheese with fresh basil, etc. ... yummy!)

♥ Went and saw Doubt. I walked away doubting I knew what really went on. Holy cow, Meryl Streep and Philip Seymour Hoffman knocked off my socks. Wow!

♥ We are grateful for a beautiful holiday season as we celebrated the life of our Savior, Jesus Christ, and look forward to the wonderful times in 2009. It's funny, I remember being told when I was in third grade (billions of years ago) that we would be staying on hotels on the moon when I was an adult. There is still time, NASA! Random thought, I know. It's just so strange to think we are in the 2000s! How time has flown... 2008 is basically a blur at this point. So many changes in such a short space of our life. I am having a hard time believing that my oldest child is going to go to school next year. It's all too sudden! But I do hope that the year is kind (even though it is an odd year) and that we are all blessed with the good things of life, especially good health. Besides, this is the year of digital tv... we better get our good old converter boxes or we will be left in the dark! (I actually had a Quest employee laugh when I said we didn't have cable and had the nerve to ask me why! I told her it's because we are cheap. No punches thrown :) Happy New Year!

8 comments:

Annette Anthony said...

Amen...
I am going to your recipe site to get your German Pancake recipe!
And.....your toe, those suckers hurt! I remember taking my friend (we were 18-ish) to the doctors because she had an ingrown and I watched them perform the minor (MAJOR) surgery! OUCH! They shoved the scissors up under her toe nail and even with the numb stuff(can't think of the name) she was in so much pain! So I have a lot of sympathy for you.
Happy New Year!

Jillene said...

My husband has chronic ingrown toenails. Matter of fact they were so bad on his one big toe that hey just had to cut all of the roots out--now his toenail is a nubber!!

You are VERY lucky that your kids woke up at 9:30 on Christmas morning!! Mine woke up at 4:15a.m.!! What the!? I made them go back to bed--which they didn't--so we finally ended up getting out of bed at 6.

We also had the same Christmas background!! We have GREAT taste!! I hope that you and your family have a Happy New Year!!

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you got things taken care of so you no longer have to worry about flesh-eating bacteria! :)

I've been wondering whether to see Doubt or not, but I think now I will.

And lastly, it sounds like you've been having all sorts of fun this holiday season. Excellent!

Kristina P. said...

That sounds like such an eventful little while!

I hope you have a Happy New Year!

Aquaspce said...

Sounds like a lovely holiday!
You have a recipe sight?
I have hammer toes if it's any condolence... my toenails grow over the tops of my toes, and I always forget to trim them until suddenly I take my shoes off and my toes are bruised...
also when I swam a lot, they would split right down to the cartilage just from pushing off the walls on my turns
yeah...
just thought you'd want to know that...

uh

Happy New Year!

Whitney R said...

Your basketball story made me laugh. We have free tickets to any game we want that is playing the Jazz. So, Jaren wants to see Labron James (or however you spell that) on the Cavaliers so we'll probably go to that one.

You had a busy week!

Teresa Jordan said...

It was nice to finally take a minute and catch up with your life tonight. Sounds like you had a good birthday and a great Christmas. I want to see 7 Pounds. We went to Curious Case of Benjamin Button and Bedtime Stories - both were good.
Hope your toe is feeling better!

MJ said...

It sounds like you guys had a wonderful holiday. We really want to come and visit you sometime this year, so you aren't always the one traveling.
I hate when you have a minor surgery that you can't milk. What's the point, if you can't be a little babied?