Thursday, December 4, 2008

Reason Number 898,561,258,978,597...

... why I love my husband. Let me explain a little background for this story:

I am a killer. Not the crazy I-need-my-daughter-to-be-a-cheerleader kind of way, of course. I am a killer of... vacuums. I don't know what it is about our tumultuous relationship that leaves us both so bitter during our short time together, but it has definitely caused me many a trips to the dumpster. Now before you go thinking this might have happened to me once, I will tell you that in the last four years, I have killed four vacuums. We just don't see eye to eye. I want it to pick up everything, even rocks, and small animals (jokes), and it just wants to do the minimum amount of work. I have had them smoke, have hair wrapped around the roller so that it no longer turns, leave me picking up every single piece of string because the roller no longer turns, etc. They are a pain, pure and simple. Can't stand them.

So, when we moved down here, I decided to buy a cheap vacuum because, as I told you, I tend to commit violent crimes against them. I felt like $40 for a vacuum could be a good investment. Um, wrong. My $40 vacuum was a joke. I ended up having to lift the vacuum up and on top of the things I wanted it to pick up (example: Cheerios. They were the worst and the baby loves her some cheerios). It never picked up lint (and, with my husband's lovely black socks, it is everywhere) or string or, well, basically much of anything. It was a royal pain and a HUGE waste of money. I tried to make due with what I had. Then, when we moved into our new house I decided I wasn't going to settle for second best, that I was retiring my vacuum harming days and purchase a REAL vacuum (those Oreck commercials were starting to look pretty good). This, of course, doesn't work so well into my plan of being frugal because nice vacuums are not so cheap. But, I would rather purchase a more expensive vacuum than replace my whole carpet.

That being said, I will get back to why I love my husband. I had planned on going out shopping the day after Thanksgiving until I realized that I didn't go to bed until almost 2 am. When David woke me up at 4:30, I decided it was too late and went back to sleep. I woke up a few hours later with David telling me that we needed to talk. He told me he was sick of the house being dirty and that he had made up a list of things for me to do while he and the girls went to a movie. I was shocked, to say the least. I thought I had been so good with the house, for once in my life! So, I got up and went downstairs to see said list. It ended up being a love note which told me to go buy my vacuum and the girls' Christmas (he wanted to make me mad so it would seem sweeter. We are sick, I know, but it worked :) So, at 9:30 am, I headed over to Target to get my Dyson. The deal was, you bought it for $50 off of the regular price and they gave you a $100 gift card. Therefore, I was able to get all of our Christmas shopping that day, at one store. And, of course, the vacuum donated proceeds to breast cancer research. Love it. And as I was pushing around my little cart, a woman came up and told me that she loves her Dyson and it was worth every penny. She also told me her families' allergies have basically gone away because of it. Fabulous.

Some women go crazy over Manolo Blahnik shoes and Louis Vuitton handbags... I go crazy over household appliances. Yes, I am that far gone :)

So, I love my vacuum. I find myself daydreaming about the different ways to vacuum the floor, and all of the different patterns. I love to pull it out and look at it's pink loveliness. It is beautiful and so is my husband. I am usually a Walmart and Dollar Tree shopper (Target is upscale to me), but sometimes I think it's okay to indulge on those wonderful household items :) Thank you, David! You almost made all of my SAHM dreams come true (now only the Kitchen Aid is left and you have created my Barbie Dream House!)!!!!


The old, useless vacuum has been exiled to the kids playroom.

New and improved vacuum. Isn't it cute? It works FABULOUSLY! Good thing I sold that extra kidney!

She loves it because it is pink.

One of my dear sister-in-laws, Suzanne, asked for some pictures of the house. I know this is lame (and the decorating is even lamer), but here is just a picture of the computer room. No portraits on the walls yet. This picture makes it look really tiny.

Windows in the room. Old school, non-flat monitor. I keep telling myself I am emo, or is it emu?

Another random picture. This thing was in storage from the time the oldest was 10 months old and on. I am so glad we get to use it now.

Such adorable sisters...

Senorita Bo after a nap.

5 comments:

Jillene said...

Oooohhhh..a Dyson!! You are SO lucky!!

LOVE the pics of the kids!! They are adorable!!

Kristina P. said...

Congrats on the new vacuum! I love the colors too.

MortFamily said...

Man, I was trying to figure out why you loved your husband for a second there, but that was really sweet! Brent always jokes around about my future KitchenAid... aaah some day... it will be mine! Glad you got to go to Target... oh, how I would love to have a Target here... Have you seen Twilight yet?

Aquaspce said...

I love your new vacuum... especially because it's pink.

Annette Anthony said...

Sheesh...a pink vacuumm makes it look like you are snooty posh mom and you get things from Macys and the pottery barn and sundance catalog! You are a styling SAHM now! I think I am coveting.....ooh, well.