Monday, December 15, 2008

Not a Creature was Stirring, Just Screaming Instead

I am at a Taylor Swift concert, which I think is hilarious because I think I have heard one of her songs. It is a small venue. I am sitting in the audience close to the stage. She is singing her songs and generally putting on a great show. Then she jokingly asks if anyone knows The Jonas Brothers. The crowd goes wild! I raise my hand and tell her I have never heard a Jonas Brothers song. She looks at me with her mouth wide open. She then tells me to go to the top of the "stadium" (which is funny because it is no bigger than a high school football stadium). I go to the top and she starts playing the saxophone. Next thing I know, Taylor Swift is throwing the instrument at me to catch as she yells, "Take that, Joe Jonas!" I catch it, but suddenly there are pieces of saxophone all around. I try to gather them all up. Next thing I know, there is a large bus in the middle of the venue and Taylor is getting on bawling that this is the best show she has ever had and everyone was so wonderful (I, of course, am thinking, "Why is she sobbing if this is the best show ever? She looks distraught.") Her mom walks by me and I give her the pieces of the saxophone and ask her how her daughter is doing. She says she is having a hard time getting over said Jonas brother and that she will eventually be fine. I turn around, because now we are in a neighborhood and, as the bus begins to pull away, there are army tanks driving down the street. I find this odd because, I mean, isn't she just 18 or something, and can't possibly hold the kind of popularity as say, Obama? Anyway, I watch the tanks and then there is screaming, horrible screaming that seems to get louder and louder. Then I realize it's not really in my dream, it is in my house...

Bo woke up screaming last night... twice. She keeps waking up telling me she has peed the bed, even though she is wearing a diaper. I realized this morning that might be a good thing because she is starting to wake up when she pees. Of course, this would be helpful before, but what can you do? Boo woke up crying once (I went to get her and she was standing at the door and it freaked me out so much that I screamed), but also had me wake up to take her to the bathroom. iLyn has a cold and woke up several times crying in the night as well. Least to say, we didn't get much sleep last night. My poor husband said he had about 45 minute intervals of sleep (plus the fact that we didn't go to bed until late. We were watching a human version of Mr. Toad on PBS. It was great).

It is a rare occurrence when our oldest child goes through the night without having a bad dream. It breaks my heart because I know there isn't a whole lot I can do about it. She wakes up sobbing, just like I used to do. She wakes me up to take her to the bathroom, just like I used to do (sorry, Mom. I realize how difficult that must have been for you, especially since I did it until I was almost nine, I think). I try to comfort her as much as possible, but she keeps having all of these bad dreams about me dying, just like I used to do. I feel so bad for her because it doesn't allow her to have a great rest when she keeps waking up. One night she woke up four times. It was crazy. I thought I was going to lose my mind. Now Bo seems to be doing the same things. I ended up sleeping with them last night because Bo wouldn't let me leave without her screaming and crying. It is frustrating, exhausting, and heartbreaking. All I want Santa to bring me for Christmas is some good dreams for my girls and some good night rests. Maybe I should write to Taylor Swift. She seemed to like me in my dream. Maybe she can answer all of my problems... or throw saxophones at me. At least it takes my mind off the fact that I am basically sleepwalking today!

8 comments:

Jillene said...

My youngest has been having bad dreams every night for a while now. Which means that she ends up in bed with us, which means that I get no sleep.

I am sorry that they are having bad dreams. I know how you feel!!

Lyns said...

UGH! I'm sorry Megs! That just sucks. Have you thought about having David give them a blessing?

MortFamily said...

You totally had me for a while there... Taylor Swift... Colter has bad dreams a lot too. You poor mommy. Three kids waking up in one night is horrible! I had a bad night too. Ally has a fever and woke up at 4:30 and by the time she fell asleep it was 6:00 and I needed to get up to babysit. Yuck. No sleep and being a mom is no good.

Aquaspce said...

Awww, My Oldest has nightmares too, not often, but when he does, they scare him to death. He's taken to sleeping on the floor lately since his last one.
When he was little and having them daily, (Or nightly) I finally bought him a new pillow, and pillow case. I told him that the pillow had two sides, a bad dream side, and a good dream side. If he remembered to sleep on the good dream side, he'd have good dreams.

It worked for awhile!
Now that he's older, I say a prayer with him to help him get through the night and I've also told him that he has control of his dreams, so when he's dreaming something, he can change it! There have been times when in the morning, he tells me he's woken up from a bad dream then gone back to bed and re-dreamed the same thing, only he's actually made it funnier, or whatever.

Anyways, I don't know how old your girls are, my son is Nine and so he's just grasped the concept that he can control what he's thinking even when he's asleep.
so Yeah,
Sorry so long!
GOOD LUCK!

Kristina P. said...

That is so sad! I know a lot of kids get night terrors.

Anonymous said...

Oh, I'm so sorry! My oldest went through a period where he had night terrors and it was no fun at all.

Before I had kids, I thought that once you got past the first three months of middle-of-the-night feedings, everyone slept well from then on out. Ha! By the time my kids are out of the house, I'll probably be in that stage of life where my bladder won't let me sleep through the night anyway.

I should have slept more when I was in college...

Unknown said...

Oh I thought the nights Ethan crys and screams were bad. It doesn't compare to your bad nights. That is awful when you can't get a good night sleep and it's even worse when your kids don't. It's hard when kids go through struggles like that and you just don't have the answers to make it all better.
I didn't know that happened to you when you were a child. Well good luck and I hope your Christmas wish comes true.

MJ said...

I think this might be something that ran in the family. I used to do the same thing to my mom, only I was in my teens before I stopped. Now that I am older, I recognize that I think I was suffering from anxiety, but that didn't help my mom when I was younger. Anyway, a couple of ideas... I was terrified of the dark when I was little so my mom and dad bought me a tape player with headphones. When I woke up in the night and when I was going to bed I listened to happy church music which helped me calm down. That really helped me. Micky had started to do this too. I bought her some fancy pink lights to hang in the window. I told her they were fairy lights made by Tinkerbell and her friends to keep bad things away. So every night we turn them on and she feels safe with her fairy lights protecting her. One day, she'll figure out I've lied to her, horribly, but it is working for now. Hope it gets better soon. I know exactly how it is to get 2 hours of sleep at night in 1/2 hour increments, and I feel for you. Good Luck!