Saturday, October 11, 2008

Random Ramblings

It is a rare occurrence, lately, when I am able to have thoughts... real thoughts that don't involve Barbie dolls and PB & J. Every once in a while the neurons start firing (albeit slow and sputtering) and I can think with a clear mind. The economy and it's slow and painful run down the drain has everyone a bit on edge, me included. So many things have gone wrong and are out of control. People are losing their jobs, homes, families, patience, and hope. These are definitely hard times. A few random thoughts have occurred to me, however. Here we go:

1. I wonder, when the banks were passing out loans for $800,000 one bedroom shacks in Southern California, if the economy would be different if they had to present their case (court style) to their patrons when dishing out the dollars. This is what I think should have been said: "Hey, we need your approval. We are thinking about giving a home loan to Bob Smith for $800,000 for a one bedroom, hole in the wall house. Bob has a few things going for him. First, he makes minimum wage with no hopes of being able to afford his mortgage when the rates go up in three years. Second, he just lost that job he was making minimum wage at. And third, us giving Mr. Smith his loan is going to completely destroy your parents' retirement fund." I wonder how many people would have agreed to that. I think I might have voted no. Just a thought. I feel so sorry for people getting ready to retire or counting on that money to survive. Good night nurse. David and I were joking about how he had made two dollars on the money he has put into a 401K and, because of this crash, it has dropped to one dollar. That's only funny because it was two dollars, however, that is 50 percent. Fifty percent is a LOT when we are talking, well, more than two dollars.

2. I believe most of these corporate executives are evil. They can try to sugar coat their "meetings being planned ahead" all they want. Ever heard of a cancellation? People do it all the time, especially when it is one the tax payers' dime. Maybe you should look it up! Anyway, here is what I think should happen. I think that all of these executives should have to put all of their money (in the Swiss and Cayman Island bank accounts as well) and assets into a big pot. Said pot would then be divided amongst the people who lost out/were destroyed with their collapse. Then, I think these executives should have to go work for minimum wage to see what it is like for the rest of us (maybe at Walmart or the farm in Napoleon Dynamite). Now I am not saying they didn't work hard to get where they were at and didn't deserve a cushy office with a nice view, BUT I am saying that should not have come from ripping off the American worker. Let's see how they like to gamble with money when they are at a negative balance after getting paid. Welcome to the real world, Mr. CEO.

3. Let's just stop speculating what is going to happen in the future. Does it really matter? I am grateful the price of a barrel of oil has dropped, but did it need to go up in the first place? I would like place these speculators in a room with irritated bees and speculate how many times they might get stung (harsh, sorry). Thank goodness gas is down a little (what happened to $1.00 for gas?), but it isn't enough. Maybe I will go fill up in Saudi Arabia. They seem to have some great prices over there.

4. I am stealing this thought from my friend, Stephanie. She said that we are in the thick of the pride cycle. How true that is. We had a great economy going for a while back there and life was good. Hopefully, we are almost to the humility stage. We better get our acts together soon!

5. I posted a comment about this on Teresa's blog, but our focus should be on the needs and not the greeds. Do I need to buy that Gucci Vuitton purse when I only have enough money to feed my family? No. Do I need to buy a new car when I can stuff my family in the one? No. Do I need to get my hair re-highlighted. Yes, but I can just pretend it is the new fashion.

5. I definitely am not perfect and probably should never have posted this... but I am going to anyway just to prove my imperfection.

6. I am so grateful for hope. I am grateful for a husband who has taught me the value of paying credit cards off every month and to do the best we can to live within our means (my parents taught me that as well, but I was too dumb to have that sink in before I got married). I am grateful for the lessons of lean times and the joys of abundance. I am grateful for the simplicity of life through the eyes of my children, and I am so grateful for my testimony of the Savior. He knows us and knows our sorrows, our pain, and our struggles. These are tough times, but I know if we lean upon him, our burdens will be light and our hope will return. And, I am grateful The Office is back on the air. Whew! At least I can feel better about my life by watching Michael Scott make a fool of himself. Thursdays make it all alright.

3 comments:

MJ said...

One word, AMEN! You summed up the State of the Union very well. Why does the President need a whole hour to do the same thing. So pretend that I am giving you a standing ovation for putting your ideas out there. I agree with you 100%.

Teresa Jordan said...

I have been feeling much the same as you lately Megan. I was so lucky this week to go to a guest lecture at BYU and the woman who spoke was amazing. She talked about living with uncertainty and maintaining hope. She was so inspiring because she is has done all of these amazing things in her life and is BLIND. I am going to post about it on my blog. It really helped me put things in perspective.
Just to validate you a bit, I recently wrote a letter to a Utah State Senator and he wrote he me back and said that he originally voted against the bailout because it was going to pad the pockets of the dishonest and NOT help those who really need it. But then, he ended up HAVING to vote for it because if it didn't pass, the consequences in his words would be "catastrophic to our nation."
Off Topic - are you guys coming up for Thanksgiving?

Ash said...

Sarah Palin watch out Mel is on her way to the White House. Just as qualified and from the same sate how interesting.

You never cease to amaze me:)