Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Dancing with the Semi-Stars


I have to admit, when I first saw the commercial for Dancing with the Stars I thought it would be completely lame. Of course, this was right after I saw the add for Skating with the Stars (or something equally lame). Because of this, I didn't watch it for several rounds. Last year, however, I stumbled upon watching A.C. Slayter (aka Mario Lopez) waltzing around the floor and was intrigued. I ended up watching him and Joey Lawrence (he turned out to be quite a looker) dance gracefully across the floor with two of the most incredible looking women I have ever seen. I was hooked for the season.

I don't know what it is about ballroom dancing, but it is amazing. I have been dazzled by it ever since I first saw Strictly Ballroom fourteen years ago (has it really been that long??) . There are so many things to enjoy: the lines of the bodies, the speed, the closeness, the romance, and the ability to do all of that and still be on their feet (however, I would like it if the women wore more clothing). I used to go to the Ballroom Dance competition at Ricks, way back in the day. I remember watching in awe at the pure beauty of it. I someday hope to be able to move like that... on purpose, not just falling down the stairs or slipping on ice.

That being said, I have FORCED David to watch it with me. I don't have to force the girls because they love it. And, don't worry, I tell the girls if they ever dress like that they are going to have to deal with me! :) It has been a strange season with Cloris Leachman (she is too over the top for me and takes away from the dancing, but maybe that is just me. No, it's David too. Watching her makes us nervous and embarrassed for her. Someone has to be!), but some of the celebrites are actually very good. I am jealous of Brooke Burke. Oh my goodness! The girl can move and she looks fan-W-tastic after having four kids. Warren Sapp is a pretty good dancer as well. I loved their Matrix inspired dance a few weeks ago. And the girl that Lance Bass is dancing with, well, she is just the funkiest dancer I have seen. David and I were analyzing her and the way she moves. She is amazing and I love how she brings herself into the dance. LOVE IT! And, even though I have never watched All My Children, I know that Susan Lucci's character isn't the nicest person on the show, but she seems the exact opposite in real life. She is too adorable. She seems like the sweetest person. Of course, I am sure doing something out of your comfort zone on national tv would humble most, but she seems like a truly nice person.

I am happy there is something worthy of watching on tv (other than Thursdays, but some might already know of our love of The Office). In a world full of video games, scandal, and violence, I am glad there is something that has reignited our love of moving and art... even if it is at the hands of a former N'Sync-er!

No comments: