Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Happy March!

It seems like whenever I sit down to use this thing to post the internet is working at B.C. speed. It's terrible. Therefore, I haven't been on here in a while to post anything because I know it is going to take forever. Of course, when it is working fast I am either sleeping or wishing I was sleeping. So here is the latest...

Things are going really well. We found out exactly a week after iLyn was born that she has something called congenital hypothyroidism. Her thyroid just wasn't producing enough. When they first told us we were pretty scared. Only about 1 in 3000 babies are born with it so it's not too common, but not too rare either. After talking to a few doctors, however, they said that if they had to pick something for their baby to have, they would pick this because it is manageable. They have really calmed us down. She has to take medicine every day and possibly will have the rest of her life. However, she has responded extremely well to the meds. We have had to lower her dose twice now because the meds are working too well. There are 15-20% of kids that grow out of this. I am hoping and praying she is one of them. She also had some bad jaundice and wasn't gaining weight like she should. We were going to the doctor all the time to get her weighed and we had nurses coming her to weigh her as well. And, because of the thyroid, she was extremely sleepy so we were having to wake her up every time to feed her. It was an exhausting few weeks. About three weeks old we finally got over the hump and now she seems to be doing well. She gained 10 oz. in 9 days which is really good and she has passed her birth weight. It was rough going emotionally and physically for a while now, but we are doing much better. She is definitely growing now. All I can say is thank goodness for the PKU test they do in the hospital and in the doctor's office. That is what caught this. Thyroid function helps with brain development and catching it early is the greatest thing. We caught it within the first week of her life. We are so blessed. I am now grateful for all the poking and bloodletting!

This last weekend we had a bit of a scare as well. David had to go to the emergency room. We blessed the baby on Sunday, had a dinner afterward and then David's mom took him to the emergency room. He had been having flu like symptoms for a week and a half and Sunday he looked horrible. His mom took his blood sugar and her meter couldn't read that high. He went to the hospital and it was 800. Normal blood sugar is between 70-120. Least to say, that wasn't good. He was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes. He has apparently been this way for quite some time (at least three months possibly much more... they do a test to find out what your average blood sugar was over the last three months and his average was 350). This is why he has felt so awful for so long. It is a big wake up call. He has to take insulin several times a day (and when I say take, I mean shoot). He had to stay the night in the hospital so they could monitor them. Not the greatest place to get rest, apparently. They were drawing and checking his blood every hour so he came home exhausted. It is pretty overwhelming having to change your life and lifestyle immediately, but they are all (minus the shots of course) great changes for our family. This is going to force us to be healthy and organized. Schedules are not my thing, but I guess they will be now. Besides, it is good practice for when our life is really hectic. Hopefully with some weight loss, better eating, and exercise he can get off of the insulin and just take a pill (and then hopefully get off of that as well). We are adjusting, but it will all be good. He is resting better and has more energy than he has in years (not to mention feeling better all around). He woke up this morning and cleaned the whole downstairs, did the dishes and helped me get organized. I can't complain! Of course, now he is sleeping because he over did it too soon, but the fact that he has so much energy is awesome. I will not complain. David I love you and am grateful the Lord has blessed us so much!!

Well, that's about it. I will try to get better at posting, but first I have to get this baby on a normal schedule (wants to stay up until 2-3 am. Not so good when the other girls wake up early). My mom has also extended her stay to help with the girls while we get used to this new lifestyle. I am very grateful for her help. I hope all are well with you and your families. Take care!

I called her Lite Bright. That thing is called a Biliblanket. It's much better than having to keep her under a light for days. She was on this for almost a week. She also had an eye infection. She looks pretty sickly in these pictures.

The newest toy from Fisher-Price: Glow in the Dark Baby

Peaceful moments

Waking up iLyn

A slight smile

Lovely Jaundice


I don't normally put my girls on the toilet together, but they were sitting there watching while we bathed iLyn. I just thought this was a cute picture.

1 comment:

Lyns said...

ACK!!! I'm sooooo sorry to hear about David!!! AND the baby!! You guys are in our prayers!! Hi to your mom!!!! *waving*