
Yesterday the girls and I accompanied my mom to the Air Force Base where we live. I have been frequenting bases for years. My dad was in the military and, to give you an idea of our age difference, had retired BEFORE I was born. Yeah, we were 48 years apart (you read that right). My dad was born during the depression. I bet not too many people my age can say that... except for maybe Hugh Hefner's kids, but then we might be talking 1800s. Anyway, we went to the base to grocery shop because they tend to have lower prices on food. It always makes my jaw drop when I see such awesome deals, but I am so grateful that the military people are getting these deals. They work hard for their money.
I just want to take this opportunity to express my deep gratitude for all of our current soldiers and veterans. What an amazing group of people. As we walked around the store, so many of the people said hello to my girls and made them feel special. I adore these people. I am amazed by their dedication to our country and to freedom. I admire their strength and fortitude. I don't know how hard they work, what horrors they see or have seen, or the sacrifices they have made to continue to allow the red, white, and blue fly boldly in the sky, but I salute them.
I see these older veterans and I wonder what they have witnessed and experienced over the years. They served their country well. They fought off genocide and tyranny. They fought for justice and honor. They watched their friends and family die for the lives of others. They have seen our world change and they have lived through it all. I see our current soldiers and wonder how life has been for them. The wars they are fighting are unlike any wars before. I wonder what it must be like to be deployed to Iraq and Afghanistan again and again. I ache for them and their families as they are separated for months and years. I pray for them and their safe return.
My dad was proud of his country and proud to serve his country. He used to wear a hat that said, "These colors don't run or burn!" I thought it was cheesy at the time (and a little embarrassing), but I don't any more. There are many decisions that have been made in our country that I do not agree with, or cannot imagine were ever a good idea, but I am proud of what our country stands for at the core: Freedom. And even though, God willing, we may never have to see the price of it, I want people to know that I am sincerely grateful to the men and women who have given all for our freedom. I may not necessarily agree with our leaders or their decisions, but I support the faith and the dedication of our troops one hundred percent. May God bless every single of them and allow them to come home safe and sound to their family and friends. And, may God bless them with the ability to see past the terror and see the benefits we reap because of the service and sacrifices they give. Thank you.
6 comments:
This is a beautiful post! I'm goign to write one today on a children's book that has somethign to do with this subject. :) That picture is very moving.
Thank you to your wondeful dad!
Beautiful post!! Thank you for sharing!!
Nice to meetcha!
Thanks for reminding us of our many blessings.
My FIL is alot older too. He's in his 80's & served at the end of WWII. My hubby's g-pa was born a couple years after the end of the civil war. I know, wierd.
Your dad was so awesome. What a great tribute to him and the other men and women in the armed forces. Thanks for the reminder of who we need to be thanking for our freedome.
Thanks Mel, that was nicely written...
Post a Comment