It is official, we are probably some of the only people I know to not have cable. No, we are not up to date with Project Runway, Trading Spaces (is that show even on anymore), or any of the other shows that people watch on cable. We are cable free and I couldn't be happier. I have rediscovered my love of PBS and realized I only really watch two shows on TV. We have talked about getting it several times and I am the one to keep putting my foot down. I love not having it. I have a bit of an addictive personality so I know I would just be sucked in again and I just don't want that to happen. If they just offered ESPN for David I would totally do it, but alas, they do not. It has been wonderful, up until this point...
We have been dreading the whole "analog to digital" event. I got the coupons last year to get some boxes, but I didn't want to do it and then, before the February deadline, I pulled them out and realized they had expired. Really?? So, least to say I was very grateful when they bumped back the date to June. We just received our new coupons, but I didn't want to go just yet (I don't really agree with this whole thing. In fact, I think it's ridiculous. So what if our TVs are well over 10 years old and one doesn't even have the right connections for a DVD player. Why should we be punished??) Unfortunately, when I couldn't watch Dancing With the Stars last Monday night because our local ABC channel decided they were not going to wait until June, I had to cave.
I went to purchase two boxes and an antenna. The boxes cost $49.95 each, but we had a $40 off coupon for each one. Then, I purchased a $9.95 antenna. With the coupons the total should have come to, with tax, about $31-33 dollars, right? (Do, do, do... okay, $9.95 x2+$9.95=$29.85+ random tax...) So you can imagine my shock when the total came to a few cents under $40. What? I had to have the lady call a manager over to tell me. Her explanation was, "Yep, it's $39.76." Almost ten dollars in tax, seriously? After I am sure I annoyed the crud out of the people in line, I turned to the lady behind me and told her I was sorry for taking so long. She was nice and then told me that I have to pay the tax on the total before the coupon (she must not have cable either... that's one more person!). What?? I don't believe I have ever paid tax before a coupon. Have you? Is that right? I was (and still am, can't you tell) a little more than completely disgusted over this incident. And, I will tell you why... not only did I pay almost 33 percent in tax on three items (I don't count the before the coupon, what craziness), but the digital converter box, although it does make one of my girls standing in the corner so we can see Michael Scott better obsolete AND we now get many more channels, loses 1/3 of the picture because the digital picture doesn't fill up the TV screen, gives you a boxy digital effect when the signal is down, gives you no signal, I have to use more electricity because the box has to be plugged in, and (my favorite part) completely fades the color if the TV has been left on too long (we have a PBS station that just plays classical music, I do love that). Back to black and white. I despise it and have rebelled against it. I only use it if I have to now.
I am all for the government making my life easier, but this has not. I would rather have to stand on my head to get the picture clearer than have to go through this every time I want to watch The Office. It's a joke and extremely frustrating. But, what can you do? I mean, I could just watch The Office on the computer and give up the TV, but then I wouldn't be able to watch Masterpiece on PBS. It's a toss up, but I am definitely not pleased :0P
6 comments:
I am SO with you on this. We don't have cable either, and I don't want it. We have the converter box, but the pixillated picture is so annoying! Sheesh.
Yeah, we don't have cable either. We actually don't have a TV. I can get most of what I want on the internet and through dvds. I have never heard of paying taxes before a coupon--that's crazy!
I had no idea that people still had analog. It makes me so sad.
And I am clearly a TV whore. In fact, we just bought a new TV for the living room, so we could finally hook up digital cable and a DVR in the bedroom.
Add us to your list of non-cablites. We are a PBS house through and through. But I know the day is coming when I will have to get a box. Our 10 yo TV is already dying a slow death and the 2 yo isn't digital ready (the cheapest one I could find). Some days I think my kids would like the variety of cable but then I remind myself they would like the variety, which would turn into a bad thing :)
All of this hassle is really a sign that you need a new big screen t.v. AND digital cable with DVR so that you can be a reality tv addicted person like me. JK. You inspire me. Maybe I'll turn off my cable....just as soon as American Idol is over...oh, and So You Think You Can Dance...and the season finale of The Office... Oh and Desperate Houswives....yeah, then I'll turn it off.
Yikes! I'm sorry you had such a rough time. And that your shows aren't crystal clear. Jaren and I watch so many shows it's reduculous. It's our bonding time! :) We giggle and laugh at stuff. And sometimes (when I'm not in school, which will be every night forever now - yay!) I get bored and make him play backgammon with me. :)
Post a Comment