Friday, May 4, 2007
The Not-So-Gentle, but Ever So Wonderful, Lullabye
I was rocking and singing little Bo to sleep today for her afternoon nap, when something funny and wonderful happened. She didn't want to go to sleep (neither one of them do, but Bo is a lot better about it than Boo... maybe because Boo is older, who knows) and was trying to thrash around a bit in my arms. She was also crying and fighting the inevitable. I held her tight and kept humming. She finally quieted down and rested her little head on my arm. She fought heavy eyelids as gravity and the day's playground trip started taking over. I thought she was finally asleep when she started pinching my neck. Bo has started this little thing where she pinches me and I say, "ouch" and she laughs. Anyway, she started pinching me and like Pavlov's dogs, I made my unconscious response. She was pretty much asleep, but every time I said "ouch" she smiled and started laughing... with her eyes closed. It was hilarious. This went on for about two minutes. I couldn't stop laughing either because here is my child, basically asleep in my arms and still pinching and laughing. It was one of those moments, the ones you want to never forget and hold close to your heart. It wasn't something miraculous, but it was something wonderful and that I want to remember. I have moments and even days like this one where I want to just hold my girls in my arms and help them understand how much I love them and how grateful I am that Heavenly Father trusted the likes of me to be their mother. I fall so short, but I am so grateful for the opportunity I have to feel their wet little kisses and feel the warmth from their hugs and hear them say, "Mama" and "I love you Mommy." If I have nothing else in this life, not another dime or another piece of food, I know I am filled with the love of and for my family. This has been quite a year for us, with almost losing David, and it puts things into perspective. I still lose my patience and I get wrapped up in the mundane things of life, but moments like these help me come back to the realization of why we are here and how fortunate I am. Please know that we love you, our family and friends, and that we pray for you often and that we are so grateful for how you have influenced and changed our lives for good. May God bless you this day and always. I just felt impressed to share this with you. I will probably get back to being a big dork, as always, but I want you to know that I love you! Take care!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Beautiful, Mel. Beautiful...
Post a Comment