Friday, November 16, 2007

When the Cat's Away... (yeah, I know it's long)

Boy, I tell you what. I admire single parents. I don't know how they do it. David left on Tuesday and it has been quite an adventure. We dropped him off at the airport Tuesday night and the girls and I started a crying contest. Boo started crying as soon as she realized we were at the airport and Daddy was leaving. It wasn't too bad, but there were some tears welling up. Bo started crying when I got out of the car to give David a hug goodbye (she thought I was leaving). I started crying as soon as he hit the curb and was crying as I got back into the car. That really set Boo off and she started bawling. She also has a cough so the cough mixed with the crying was about to become a messy combo, so I tried to calm her down. Then Bo realized there was something to cry about (or she is smarter than I give her credit for and she realized Daddy was back at the big building) and she let the tears flow. We all had a big cry for about a mile and a half before I could finally calm them down. As soon as they calmed down, I started to cry again because it was too quiet. Comical, really.

Yesterday was a difficult day for the girls. I was actually able to get quite a few things done while they played and helped me fold the laundry. This involves Boo rolling the clothes up into a ball and Bo running all over them, jumping on them, and picking them up and carrying them away into various locations, none of which are where they belong. I tried to teach Boo how to match the corners with the towels to fold it in half and half again, but she would just grab all of the corners together, make a parachute-like shape and then roll it. I encourage her to help me as much as possible (except for cutting, but that's mostly because I know she can cut things better than me and I don't need anymore distractions to help me cut myself even more. Ask David sometime about my inability to cut, chop, or slice food. It's great. I am quite lucky I have all of my fingers and toes, for that matter). It's fun to have her help and, even though it almost doubles my work, it's so fantastic to see her get so excited about helping me out. Love it!

So anyway, back to the subject at hand. I had joked to David that I wanted to go with him and that I was sure the girls could find some food in this place. TOTAL JOKE!!! I WOULD NEVER, EVER, EVER DO THAT... EVER!!!!!! Anyway, I you have to be careful what you say around kids because yesterday Bo tried to take a bite out of Boo's cheek. It wasn't funny at the time, but you could have identified her bite pattern by studying Boo's cheek. She had two half circles on the upper and lower parts of her cheek. It actually look like Bo tried to swallow her whole face. The bite marks have disappeared, but there are bruises in their place. Then, later that night, Boo, being the older stinker than she is, pushed Bo off the chair onto her face. She tried to catch her on the way down by grabbing the neck of her shirt to stop the fall (because choking her would make it so much better) and ended up not only scratching Bo's neck, but she fell on her own face as well. Then she shut the door on her little sister, inflicting a bruise to the head. Next, Bo pinched and subsequently scratched Boo's face because they were playing/fighting. And, I noticed a scratch on Bo's eyelid last night, but when we woke up this morning it looks more like a little black eye. GOOD GRIEF! One day, one day by myself and our girls are scarred for life! It was a war zone here. They also knocked me in the head a few times playing and ran into me as well. They really missed Daddy and so do I!!!! Today went off a lot better (maybe because they got all of the bruising out of the way). They only destroyed the living room and not themselves.

David had his interview today and he felt really good about it. He really likes the downtown area and the area of the hotel. I have to laugh because he rented a really small Kia. The lady at the counter asked him if he wanted to upgrade and her turned her down. I think he basically has to put the car on. He is completely squished in the driver's seat. I would pay to see that. He says it is really nice down there and he is enjoying the sun (even though it was overcast today). Yeah, it is snowing here and in the single digits. He has a polygraph tomorrow morning. He isn't nervous about that at all, but he is nervous about getting on the right planes and getting tickets for his flights at the airport. I had to laugh when the majority of our conversation tonight was about how he will switch airlines and if they will check him through all the way, not about being hooked up to a lie detecting machine. But, I guess if you have nothing to hide you shouldn't be nervous. Just the thought of it makes me want to run outside. So much for my career in criminal investigation.

Other than that, life is swell. I feel like I am about to burst some days and feeling small the next. Oh, and I realized last week that I am cursed (yes, brother-in-law-- me and my superstitious, it's a sign! ways). We have lived here for three and a half years and our vacuum just went out. That might not sound too bad except for the fact that it is our second vacuum. David says it is because I vacuum too much (I can't help it. We have dark pink carpet and it looks filthy after you scratch your arm... gross, I know, but basically true). It is a royal pain because the vacuum still slightly works, but it works in a strange way. It doesn't have any suction whatsoever, but it does take the stuff on the floor and either reposition it in a way that it looks vacuumed or it chops it up so fine that it is now living between the fibers of our carpet. There is nothing in the dirt container. It also takes me about 20 minutes to vacuum a 10 x 10 section of carpet. It's AWESOME! And, just for a little more fun, I got in line at the grocery store tonight behind one lady who didn't seem to have that many items and looked like she was almost done. Of course, as soon as I get there the cash register breaks, but I thought the lady was about done (although by her bitter tone and the violent manner in which she was handling her purse, you wouldn't think so). The manager tells me he will meet me at register down the way. I got there and started unloading all of my groceries onto the belt. He walks over and starts cleaning his managerial stuff off of the belt so I think I am about to leave the store. Next thing I know, the bitter lady is at the opposite end of the register and he is unloading everything in the bags and scanning it again. I, being the lazy person I am, did not remove my items, but continued to stay there. After several (meaning a lot) of rude comments and tones to this poor manager and yelling at her husband, the guy finally finished with this lady and she left. Forty minutes after I got in line after one person, I left the store with my groceries. I don't know what it is, but I ALWAYS get in the line that takes 15 plus minutes to check out. I usually try to scan and bag my own, but sometimes I am too tired and I have too many things. It's my luck! But if that is the worst that happens to me today, then I am doing wonderful!

That's the news for now. Hope all is swell in your neighborhood!

1 comment: