
So it's official, I am now a working woman. Not in the sense that I actually get up, get all gussied up and drive somewhere and am away from my kids some hours of the day. Nope, I am working in that I am getting paid to do something (other than be charming, of course... yeah, right).
Last week I started watching a four month old little guy. He is really cute and pretty laid back. It seemed like this might be overwhelming, but it isn't too bad (so far). I will only be watching him until the end of May because his mom is a teacher, but it will bring in a little something extra (you know, for that converter box us antenna people need to get). The older girls love him and want to help out all of the time. iLyn could care less. He tried to hold his hand the other day and she pulled away to go stand by the couch or play in the corner. I guess my genius plan for them to be buddies might not work. Again, he is a pretty good little one. I only have a couple of dilemmas at this point:
1. He doesn't like to sleep. I can get him to sleep for half hour stretches. He literally sleeps for 30 minutes and then wakes up. It gets slightly frustrating because I cannot get a whole lot done. He falls asleep faster than lightening, but just doesn't stay asleep. His parents can't get him to sleep longer than that during the day either... unless he is on his stomach. This pretty much freaks me out and I don't want to do it. I am not sure what to do at this point since he cannot roll over, but I am too nervous to lay him on his stomach. I had a cousin die from SIDS at a babysitter's house when I was a kid and so I am especially wary. I guess we will get it all figured out or my family will be eating sandwiches a lot for dinner.
2. Changing the diaper of a boy is quite complex. Well, it is probably easier than changing a girl, but, to be quite honest, I am terrified he is going to pee on me, or worse, pee in my face. I have seen one to many America's Funniest Home Videos of that exact scenario to calm down about it. I know I have been able to change my girls' diapers fast (when short time called for it), but I am now breaking record speeds. Of course, this can only happen when he is just wet. When the buidness has been done, I have learned to strategically place wipes so that the aim won't hit me. I always thought boys would be easier. They might be easier, but much scarier in the liquid department.
All in all, it has been a pretty good experience so far (all two days of it :). I guess this is the Lord's way of letting me be around a boy and see the difference. Right now, of course, the only difference lies in the changing of the diaper because they all have the same needs (you know, licorice for breakfast, tv all day long, the teaching of swear words and offensive hand gestures, playing with sharp objects, and such... jokes people, jokes. I would never give my kids licorice for breakfast! For those of you who cannot recognize written sarcasm (which is difficult, I know all too well), I am joking about all of it :)
7 comments:
I suddenly have an odd craving for licorice... :)
Yeah, changing a boy's diaper is definitely an adventure. My husband never did master it until Riley got a little older. One day he got peed on four times. I tried to be sympathetic, but then I went into the back room and laughed. A lot.
Good luck. Extra mula is great though. Why do you think I work?
Diapers are another reason babies scare me! :)
Too funny, although the little dude is four so he shouldn't be peeing on you - they kinda outgrow that :)
And Licorice for breakfast! My kids would think I was torturing them (they hate licorice) Ice Cream, on the other hand is completely okay - it's like milk, only frozen...
Hey, Strawberry Shortcake, thanks so much for the cleaning tip you posted on If You Give a Mom a Moment. If you have a sec, would you email me? I'd love to ask you a couple quick questions. (melodywarnick at gmail dot com)
You're brave for taking on another kid! Do your older two like having him around? My best solution for making dinner with a baby who won't nap is to use the sling. It doesn't always work but...
I love your real but positive writing. I can't seem to write about my stresses and problems without going way overboard and nobody wants to read that. :)
Yeah, I've been peed on before from my little guys. It comes when you least expect it. That's great, I've thought about daycare, but then I think of Syd and Eth and say no way. Maybe when all my kids are in school, but for now cleaning toliets is a lot better. What's wrong with Licorice for breakfast. Good Luck, your very brave.
Post a Comment