Monday, June 16, 2008

Movin' On Up

Once again, I am behind with the blogging. Things have been crazy, but life is great. I honestly never want to move again. Each time we have moved we have either sold a ton or given a ton away. This time we just gave most of it away. Some friends of ours volunteered to be the designated drop off point... poor kids. They pretty much ended up with most of our stuff at their house. They got everything from spices to our Christmas tree. I also ended up giving away about 15 garbage bags of clothing (give or take a few bags more). I realized that in the last year I have given away about 85-90% of my clothes. I will miss them... not really. And, as much as 15 bags of clothes seems like a lot, we still have enough left to fill up at least one and a half large U-Haul boxes and six suitcases. Good grief Charlie Brown. I cannot believe how much "stuff" we had stuffed in that little apartment. It's no wonder I started to lose my mind at the end. It literally took me until two days before we were leaving to finish packing and cleaning our apartment. Nuts!

We ended up staying with Papa and Nona for our last week and a half in Alaska. We played, had dinners and ran around with them. It was a fun time, but sad as well. We hope to see all of you again very soon. A few days before I took some pictures of Fairbanks to save for posterity (or for just David and I). Since not too many people have been to the frozen north, I thought I would share a few.

This was one of my favorite restaurants. Expensive and garlicky.


This is where we lived right after we were married. This is where I where I cooked our first meal as a married couple, saw my first moose in front of a volleyball court, watched the news on September 11th, got the people below us kicked out, where we were deathly ill, and where David broke our axle trying to impress me by doing donuts in the parking lot.

Our apartment was the one on the top left.

Creamer's Field. Birds flock here in the summer.

Creamer's Field again.

This is where we purchased David's motorcycle (I miss it, even though it scared me to death).

This is Farmer's Market. That building is also where a friend of ours ran David's motorcycle into the door. It was hilarious. He wanted to buy the bike, but after that I don't think his wife was so into purchasing it.

I put this in for my mom... she knows why.

UAF

The power plant.

More campus photos.

The student rec center. We spent many hours swearing, I mean sweating in there.


David bought us tickets on this train right after we were married. It was wonderful and they gave us free drinks because we were newlyweds (soda and water, that is).

The Geophysics Institute.

The museum.


This is where David asked me to marry him (the second time). It was incredibly romantic and beautiful!!!

The Natural Sciences Building

Our old apartment.


Even though I hated this apartment, it was our home for four years. That was the girls room. So many memories...

1 comment:

Suz said...

What a good idea. These photos will help keep the memories!