Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Last Night in Alaska

Here are some pictures of the last night in North Pole. We enjoyed a lovely dinner with our family. The girls played with everyone and I frantically finished the last minute packing and unpacking (some things just couldn't go). We had a wonderful time and were sad to leave. Even the mosquitoes were sad because they were out in full force. I have never, in the five years I lived in Alaska, seen them that thick before. Here are some pictures of our lovely evening.

The Family

iLyn with the grandparents and Boo's head. It seemed like everything that could go wrong went wrong that day... Boo's hair included.

iLyn, Nona, Papa, and Buggum... and the doll house. The girls are still talking about it.

Bo having a hooked on phonics moment. She just sat there and read for what seemed like an hour that night.

Nona and Cait. I love this picture :)

After we had this lovely evening, I wanted to make sure we got to the airport early because I hate it when there are a lot of people and they have to wait on me. Plus, I was nervous they wouldn't take my luggage (six suitcases, three car seats, four carry-ons, a stroller, three kids, and a nervous wreck). The ladies at the counter hooked me up, they charged me $75, but they hooked me up. The one lady ended up working at our dr. office so she was fabulously nice to us. The other lady gave us all six seats. I shook all three of their hands and called them by name. I was so happy to have that luggage out of the way. The family was able to help us upstairs and right up to the security gate. After we got through, redressed and repacked all of our stuff, we waved goodbye and were on our way... or so we thought. Around 12:30 am, they told us there was a minor mechanical problem and that they had called the mechanics. At 1:15 (we were supposed to leave at 1:00, the told us the mechanics had not responded. At 1:45 they started to rebook people with connections, 2:15 they started to rebook anyone who didn't want to wait, and at 3:00 they canceled the flight. In between that time, my girls had fallen asleep and Bo, bless her heart, woke up and screamed her head off for about 45 minutes. Poor kid had taken cold medicine twice and had not had a nap. If it hadn't been for two wonderful young men from our ward, I would not have made it. They were fantastic. They rebooked us on a flight leaving Fairbanks and traveling to Anchorage at 6:00. The girls fell asleep on the flight, as did the baby. Then, after a quick two hour layover (quick because we had to change terminals, go through security again, and grab something to eat, we were on our way to Salt Lake. The girls were awesome and I couldn't have asked for better behaved children. People even commented on how good they were and offered to help me. A kind woman held the girls' hands as we walked out of the terminal to meet grandma. It was difficult, but it ended up not being too bad (minus the 45 minutes with a screaming child. I am grateful for Heavenly Father for allowing me to survive this situation and I know, if the day should come, I am more than willing to help moms with young children on planes. Thank goodness for the goodness of others!

2 comments:

Suz said...

Thank goodness you made it! I love the pictures,it's nice to see everyone.

U-NO-HOO said...

Travelling alone with three little ones...every mother's dream!

You're GREAT, MEL!