Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Finally...

It finally happened... I finally went to see... Twilight. It only came out two months ago, I mean that isn't that bad, is it? I don't believe it is even in the dollar theater... yet (I may be mistaken on this one, but the $9.50 I paid is making me hope I am not). Husband and I were looking for something to do yesterday, as he got the day off. I had gone to see The Tale of Despereaux earlier in the day so he could do the taxes (Pretty cute show. I spent most of the time with the baby in the exit area because sitting really isn't her thing lately), so I was kind of spoiled. I didn't, however, make David go with me. I had heard such mixed reviews that I didn't want to subject me him to two hours of boredom and sighing. I sent him off to his movie and I went alone.

I must admit that going to a movie alone was a little nerve wracking for me. I used to go all the time by myself when I lived in England (sorry, Mom. I only had class three times a week for an hour. There wasn't much else to do) and it didn't bother me one bit. I even went a few times at home alone. No big deal. But, this is kind of a major chick flick and one you should see with your man or your good girlfriends. Since I don't have any that live near me, I went alone. But not totally alone, you see, because there were still plenty of women in the theater. That's right, two months out and the theater was almost at half cap (this included all of the teenagers that sneaked in about halfway through). I was surprised. I was also surprised that people brought their kids. Bizarre.

Anyway, I went in really wanting to like the movie and even be moved by it. I was not disappointed... as in I really wanted to like it/love it, but knew I wouldn't. In that reguard, I wasn't disappointed. It just wasn't that good, according to me (I am not trying to be a hater. I like lots of stuff other people don't. Xanadu, anyone??). When I picked up the book, I was instantly riveted. It isn't C.S. Lewis or Harper Lee good, but it isn't Barney the Purple Dinosaur bad either. I really enjoyed it. Unfortunately, I think the person who wrote the screenplay read the book with dueling fans blowing the pages at random back and forth. Oh, and they basically made up whole new parts not in the book. I just didn't get it-- there were so many little things that were in the book that they were sure to put in, but the major things were all twisted or completely different. And, the stuff they changed would have been so simple to follow. There aren't tons of special effects (even though they threw those in there). The story is pretty simple. How can you mess it up?? Me confused. And who cast Rosalie? Huh? The other one's seemed right for the part (well, minus the leads, and Angela. She didn't seem soft spoken enough), but that girl, as pretty as she may be, was not Rosalie.

I am not so secretly happy the director isn't doing the next one. I don't know if I will actually see another one (as the girl is too fake and serious to be Bella and he is, well, he had a few moments of hotness, but 99.1 percent of the time he just didn't cut it for me as Edward, again according to me). There was one kissing scene that would have probably been really good, but the aforementioned teenagers were screaming, "Do it!" and whistling and junk so it was hard to concentrate on what was going on. That happened basically every time he came on the screen (however, I cannot make too much fun of them because I am sure I might have done this when I was their age... I had to put that in as a disclaimer for those who knew me pre-marriage and are now rolling their eyes).

All in all, I wish I would have waited until it went to the dollar theater or came out on DVD. I won't be ordering a "Special Edition DVD," or probably even renting it, but it was fun to finally see what all of the hype was about (still wondering, actually, what it was all about). I hope the next director gets it right. As for me, I will probably be sticking to movies about mice or watching my two stand-bys that I can watch a million times and never get sick of: Pride and Prejudice (BBC) and Two Weeks Notice. They dazzle me.

Nope, not at all.

7 comments:

Kristina P. said...

I love you even more now.

Jillene said...

Hahahaha!! I went with REALLY low expectations and I came out fine. There were so many things that I sat and laughed realy hard at but all in all I didn't hate it and I didn't love it. It was just neutral.

Anonymous said...

I was the opposite - I liked the movie more than the book. But, man oh man, don't even get me started on the Harry Potter movies. I could rant for days!

Emilee said...

My thoughts exactly. Although I went with my sisters & the 10 year old & up girls in the family when we together in Phoenix for Thanksgiving - oh and my 14 year old nephew who wanted to see what all the hype was about (he totally cracks me up!). It really was a lot of fun to go with the girls & we did laugh hard. There were just some totally corny parts that were too good not to laugh at. But my biggest problem with the movie was the music. I hated the music - the score they had written for the movie - it was creepy!

Kimberly said...

An entertaining review! I haven't seen the movie yet--maybe I'll borrow it from someone when it comes out on DVD? But I did really like the book. It has been interesting to hear what all the Twilight book lovers have had to say about the movie.

Erin said...

I agree with you. I don't think I will be buying the dvd. I'm glad I saw it once, but I'm all done now.

Whitney R said...

I liked the movie.. but I agree with you. I didn't like the awkward camera angles and the fans. And some of the scene changes. I'm really excited to see the next one with a NEW director directing.

P.S. Twilight has been in our "dollar" (it's 3 bucks instead of 1) theater for at least 3 weeks. And people brought their kids and babies and wouldn't take them out when they cried...... Arg.