Monday, July 21, 2008

And Now For Something Completely Different...

Yeah, so it is long...

Wow, the last couple of months have been a complete whirlwind! We were just minding our own business when the next thing we know we are dumping all of our stuff on our friends (thanks Miners and Mortensens!) and we were moving to a foreign land full of heat, sun, and monsoons. David has been here for a few months. I just have to take a few moments to talk about my fantastic husband. He arrived at our new apartment the end of May without one stitch of furniture. The poor guy slept on the floor on my old sleeping back for weeks. He told me he just sat in the same corner in the dining room and used the back bathroom to fill the time. I knew it was bad when he told me he went to Walmart and walked down every aisle just to see people. In our entire marriage, I do believe, he has not stayed in a store for more than 20, maybe 30 minutes tops. In this time he watched every movie we owned, spent $16 on groceries in two weeks, took cold showers so he didn't use the gas to heat the water, never turned the air conditioning on in the car (he only does it now because of the girls), and he only turned the air conditioning on in the house when he felt as though his "life was in danger." I can't believe he was able to survive like that for weeks and weeks, but he did. The boy scouts actually do teach skills! David you are the baest (channeling Nacho) and I am so happy we are together again!!!!

The girls and I spent some time in Utah playing and working. I had to go through my entire life in a few days. I have been keeping stuff in storage for years (as in I haven't even unpacked it since I moved to Boise 15 years ago). A lot of it could easily have been put in the trash, but some of it I am hoping my mom can sell in a garage sale. We enjoyed the 4th with my family and then headed down to Arizona. Not, of course, before a wonderful, beautiful friend of mine, and her mom, gave us furniture for our entire house! We were sitting in the temple when she turned to me and asked me if I needed some furniture. The only thing we had was a bed, cedar chest, and a hutch my grandfather made. They most generously donated a beautiful couch, dining room table and chairs, bed for the girls, tv, tv stand, dressers, trash cans, toilet paper, cleaning supplies, sheets... and many other much needed and much appreciated items. We went from having books to having a house! Ashleigh and Peggy-- you two are angels. Please don't ever forget how you changed our life and our home. Your generosity will live on for ages (not to mention the generosity for our poor bums!)

After spending the 4th with our family, and my mom, Suzanne, Aunt Nadine, Ashleigh, and Lee helping us pack up the truck, we were slowly on our way. We left late because I couldn't wake up, but we made up for it by stopping four times, taking twelve hours (thank you Suzanne for keeping me awake and dealing with my kids for hours on end), and driving miles under the speed limit (those trucks are scary, apparently. My mom is a trooper. She is currently dealing with the problems of the trip... Mom, I can't thank you enough for your support and help during this transition time and at all times. I love you and pray you feel better soon!!!) It was a beautiful drive. It was especially beautiful after we barely missed a huge accident. The Lord was looking over us when Annie's diaper ripped and we had to take some extra time to get everything situated. If that had not had happened, who knows what we could have been involved in (actually I do. It was horrible. Thankfully Haidan decided we should say a prayer for the people. It warms my heart to know something is sinking in :) We got here at 1:30 am and unloaded the truck immediately. I think we all thought we would die, but it worked out well.

Arizona is WONDERFUL!!! We are loving it. I am not going to lie to you and tell you it isn't hot, because it is, but it is completely livable. It reminds me of my days in No Cal. It's been nice lately because it is monsoon season. It's only been in the 90s the last few days (ok, actually only 90s in the morning and 100s in the afternoon), but 90s feel like 70 compared to 110. We went to the store tonight and it was like watching a strobe light in the sky. I have never seen lightning striking quite so fast. It was amazing. And speaking of shopping, well, I will just have to have another post about that since this one is getting pretty long. Let's just say it is blowing me away...

I will try to get some pictures up. Just know that we are safe and sound and loving our new surroundings!!


I never saw this sign, but I bet it is really nice. Apparently they don't want to welcome people coming from Utah... or I just missed it.

Pictures courtesy of my lovely sis-in-law Suzanne.

White trash tinted windows and my transcendentalist child in mid-meditation.

Beautiful mountains and dead bugs...

She loves that pillow case. It could probably walk out of town on it's own because it is so old and thin and gross, but she is not giving it up! Not on my watch, at least.

Random mountain letting us know the heat is about to slap us in the face like Zsa Zsa Gabor at a Police Man's Ball.

My daughter, my old Care Bear, and my mom driving the Penskie (Uhaul sounds better, but it wouldn't be the truth!) in the background.

DAM driving! It was a miserable experience for me as I HATE bridges and dams.

Lake Powell. I had never seen it before. Very awe-inspiring.

Smiling out of pure fear.

More fabulous scenery.

This was so amazing. You drive through this pass and the landscape opens out into a huge valley. I am so glad we caught the doorway.


Okay, this is really disgusting and I know it, but I had to add it. Suzanne turned around and Bo was doing this of her own free will. Why, we may never know (do you really want to?). This, of course, was not as great as watching her sleep eat (do the motions of eating in her sleep... hilarious).

Open the doors of heaven... Not as lovely as the above picture of course, but incredible just the same.

Oh, and for those of you who haven't seen it, I chopped 12 inches off of my hair. I didn't tell David until we got here (he noticed, or would have if it hadn't been dark and 1:30 in the morning). I would tell you it is a lot cooler, but it isn't really. Maybe I will have to shave it! I am not totally against that!

No comments: