Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Moving

Things around here have been crazy lately. We just found out two days ago David has to be down to Arizona to start his new job on June 2nd. I started panicking, and continued to do so for several hours, but eventually calmed down. There is a lot to do in a short period of time. We thought we were going at the end of June, but the date was moved up by almost a month. I don't deal well with change so this is very difficult for me. David, even though he won't admit it, is a little panicked as well. Especially since we don't have a place to live! I didn't realize how difficult it would be to find somewhere to put our one piece of furniture (our bed we haven't slept on in over five years). When we moved to Vegas, I used this service to find us a place. It worked out great. This time, not so much. It's different when you have children. You have to think about things like safety, pools, and playgrounds. I read some reviews about places he found for us and well... after the roaches and scorpion comments former residents made, I think we will try to find one ourselves!

Finding a place to live is the first most stressful thing right now. The second is going through all of our stuff to whittle it down to whatever will fit in the car and, as David has so generously told me, TWO boxes we can ship. Yeah, okay. Our lives can fit in a sedan and two cardboard boxes. Pathetic! Actually, I needed to go through some stuff. My friends here are making out like bandits because I am giving away 75 percent of my clothes, about that much of David's, and a large chunk of the girls (I don't think they will be needing flannel lined pants and heavy wool sweaters down there). I had to kick David out of the room yesterday because he told me the girls could have 10 total outfits. I started hyperventilating. If you have ever seen their closet you would know they have way too many clothes, but 10 outfits?!?! He is now banished from packing anything but his own stuff... but maybe not that either. My husband is a minimalist. Minimalists scare me... but they save money in shipping costs. I also had quite a shock when I called Delta to ask about baggage. Apparently we just missed the cutoff for two bags. Blasted oil companies!!! You now have to pay $25 for another bag. What???? That is completely ridiculous. So you are telling me I have to pay for a ticket for a little girl who would probably just sit in my lap the entire trip (I know it is FAA regulations, but please) AND I can only take one bag per ticketed person??? What is happening in the world? Where is the customer service? Before too long we will have pay to pull the airplane across the country ourselves!

I also won't be posting on here in the near future. David will be taking the computer with him and the girls and I will hang out with nothing but our clothes and some food. And, I just realized, we won't have anything to cook in as he will be taking the pots and pans as well. Hmmm... I guess it is PB&J the next few weeks! The girls and I will be flying out June 2nd. I have to admit I am really scared. It's been a long time since we have lived in a big city and I have become quite accustomed to the lifestyle here. I have to admit I will not miss the winter weather (although all of the light, when the sun has shined lately, slightly makes you forget the drudgery of long, dark, cold winter days), the nastiness of this apartment, snow for most of the year, mosquitoes the size of hummingbirds, our crazy next door neighbor (bless her heart), ice covering our back door from the inside, my hand sticking to metal and burning when it is 40 below, and being 300+ miles from the temple. However, I will miss our family, our friends, the small community feel, knowing that the only thing I fear here is the car breaking down in below zero weather, and, as much as I hate to admit it, this apartment. I said I won't miss the nastiness of it, but I will miss it as a whole. This is pretty much the only home the girls have ever known. It's too bad you can't keep in contact with an old home. You know, like have the new owners send you pictures when they remodel or just to keep you posted of how she is looking these days. A home is something you have known for a long time, something that knows you. It knows all the good and the bad, but, fortunately for us, still has four walls to protect you. It may mess up from time to time and need repairs, but it is still where we sleep at night, where we have felt safe, and where we have had some of the best experiences of our lives (even though I am pretty sure this place contributes to our sicknesses or at least prolongs it). I will miss this old dump when I am enjoying our nice, new place.

I want to take this opportunity to thank our friends and family up here. We have met so many incredible people up here. The friends we have made have been amazing. They are very willing to give of their time and talents. We wish you well on your journeys and look forward to seeing you again! We have also been fortunate to have the love and support of David's family. It means so much to have you close by. I know without your love I never would have survived, especially this last year and a half. It's been a tough one. I just counted the other day and we have been to the hospital about seven times in the last two years (including births). I hope we have reached out quota for life (I guess I will just have home births if we have more kids)! You have been so wonderful to our family. We will miss having you down the road to watch a game with or to celebrate a holiday. Please, please come and visit us any time. We won't have furniture to sit on, a table to eat at, or beds to sleep in, but you are welcome any time! We love all of you and will miss you!!!

1 comment:

Lyns said...

EEEEEEEK!!! I'm so excited for you guys!!! And I do know a few people in that area that could help with housing info--email me before david takes off so I can start them sluething! I'm counting down the days til you get here!!

Oh--and DOUBLE BOO!! to lame Delta!