Once upon a time there was a girl who was a dateless girl. No, wait, she went on a few blind dates, but very, very few. So it would be safe to say that the prospects were not very high. Due to the lack of date-age, the girl's mother guilt tripped her into going to the ball... or the modern day equivalent to a ball: a matchmaking website on the internet. And while her first time upon this website was a complete disgrace and a creepy experience with a psycho caused her to close her account and never put her picture up again, she decided for fun one day to get back on and check to see if there were any knights (aka not psychos) out there looking for a dateless young lady.
Meanwhile, in a land far, far away there was a young knight (and I mean young) fresh off the boat from a two year mission in Italy who, without his knowledge, was placed upon said dating site by his older brother who wanted to check on the ladies, but use his brother's identity as to not taint his own. The young knight had many, many visits to his kingdom/profile and, like any chilvelrous knight would do, he responded to them all (and by all I mean divorced mom's looking in the wrong places). At the same time that was occuring, this young knight was dating a young maiden. Least to say the young knight had no issues in the dating kingdom. I guess, for whatever reason, he was bored and decided to utilize his profile to converse with the maidens, young and old.
One day, while perusing the endless compatible males (jokes, jokes), the girl (we should call her lady because she really wasn't a girl) came upon a picture of a young knight, kneeling in front of a turkey that was halfway out of the oven, with a homeland that was similar to that of one St. Nicholas. Upon believing this must be mockery, she clicked upon his photo to see this young knight. After reading his profile, and spending quality time looking at his photographs, the lady decided to write to him and answer his question, "Will you marry me," as this was his question to "get the ball rolling." The lady proceeded to tell him that if he could answer a question about the Roger and Hammerstein's version of Cinderella, she would meet him in a catsuit, ala Britney Spears, circa 1999, in front of the Portland Temple/Castle and marry him.
The young knight did not answer and the lady felt very silly as she seemed quite old for such tomfoolery. She wrote to the knight and told him that she was acting like the court jester and was, as they say, pulling his leg. He finally responded and told the lady that he had spent his time trying to find the answer to her request. And this is how it all began...
Fast forward ten years and we find the lady and her knight celebrating ten years of marriage. In ten years we have moved twelve times, lived in four states, had four beautiful children, had one of us die and, thank the Lord Almighty, come back to life, lived in what the government considered poverty, and have moved from one extreme to another. We have talked and laughed and disagreed and talked and laughed some more. We have grown closer than I thought was possible and I can honestly say I love him more than I ever did. I am so grateful for the lessons he has taught me over the years and for his patience as I work on switching over to the more unselfish side of life. He has endured my cooking, the bad and the good, and has encouraged me to better myself and has never,not for one second, made me believe I am anything but beautiful, even when I know the world would tell me otherwise. I admire his strength and the way he has sacrificed to provide for our family, especially his free time.
In the end, this story is about love, the love of two people who have come a long way in ten years, literally. And while he is not an official knight, he is officially my knight, forever young, forever my best friend, forever my love. David, I love you more than I can explain with words and I look forward to spending eternity together, quoting Nacho Libre, eating Ben & Jerry's, going on spontaneous road trips, staying up on a school night talking all hours, calling you as soon as I leave the house just to hear your voice, reading your loving texts to me, going to dinner and a movie for every birthday/anniversary, working your part-time job of watching college football on Saturdays, telling stories with the girls in the dark, watching you wrestle with our children and them LOVING every second of it, cooking for you and having you tell me it was really good... the five hundred times I ask you if you like it, you making fun of my awesome flight attendant pointing skills, the joy of being with our girls and sharing a smile when they are not being crazy, begging you to rub my head, ironing your shirts, taking up the bed (even though you and I both know I don't do that), talking politics and shop, you being handsome, and being in your arms. Ti voglio bene... I love you like the Dickens!
No comments:
Post a Comment