Wednesday, August 24, 2011

More Pencils, More Books, and Hopefully No Dirty Looks

It's that time of year again, the time when schedules rule my life.  I loathe and love this time of year.  While it helps me to get things done, getting up at 6:30 to get two girls ready for school isn't the what I would consider a good time.  This is particularly difficult when 50 percent of said children has to basically be DRAGGED out of bed by her toes (which proves to be even more difficult because she sleeps on the top bunk).  I know it's bad when I have to resort to not fixing them breakfast in order to get them to move.  I don't want to get out of bed either, so I can't blame them.  My mother is not-so-secretly laughing to herself because I used to do this to her (no, really, she laughs out loud on the phone for me to hear her lack of pity) ALL THE TIME.  She used to pinch me, rip off the blankets, and pour water on me all because I wanted that five more minutes of sleep.  Poor, poor woman!  Unfortunately for my girls, I know all of the tricks because I was a devious child and played them all myself.  There was a reason why I tortured my mother, in the end... it was so that I could get the same thing back four fold.

So the two older ones started school.  I can't believe we have a second grader AND a kindergartner.  It boggles my mind.  To me, I am still a fifteen year old girl with occasional pimples who talks her mom into letting her stay home because it is just too embarrassing to go to school with Mt. Everest on her face.  Oh, if life were that simple again.  If there is nothing else I can teach our girls, I want them to know that this time is to be ENJOYED and CHERISHED because there will never be a time when it is this simple again.  If only I could convince the education system of the same.  Sorry if I rant, but I am bothered by the pressures put on children.  Spelling tests in kindergarten, second graders having not one, but THREE quizzes the second week of school.  Seriously?  What happened to children being children?  Do we not allow our youth to be youthful?  No wonder there is so much violence and complacency in the world... there are no more CHILDREN in the world, just young adults in a miniature body.  I am stepping off of my soapbox now.

So Miss Happy and Little Lady are in school (and yes I cried again), but so is Ilyn.  She started preschool last week.  It is a co-op preschool, which is basically some mom's getting together and doing a little something so that our three year old children can learn some social skills and get some interaction.  It think it is GREAT and I love it.  I am happy she started.  David and I also started our second semesters in grad school. While I thought going back to school would be super fun and NERDY, it ends up that it is really HARD and a lot of work.  Grad school definitely involves more writing, which for someone like me, isn't that difficult, HOWEVER, it has to make sense and not sound like I just finished watching Sesame Street.  David's is more difficult than mine (Biology vs. Library Science... mine is a science, right?) so I give him a lot of CREDIT for that.  He is amazing and my hero.
So that is our LIFE right now.  We are coping and living it up.  We have a lot of special dates coming up so we will see how they all go.  I will do my BEST to update this as much as possible, but I am lousy at it.  Until next time...

No comments: